Monday, May 11, 2009

Mondays Aren't So Bad

So far the morning has gone well. I finished up that last FFG illustration, and got my first round of pencils done for WotC. I still have a lot to do though. Two more pencils, and some maps for Triple Ace Games.

I always hate waiting for word from the Art Director's about which sketch they want to use, or if there are revisions. I have a 3 in 4 chance of not having my favorite drawing chosen. For me one of the worst things, other than having the art rejected (more on that in a minute), is having to do a major revision. For me it's exhausting because I really have to dig deep to come up with significant variations in the drawing.

Of course there is the worst case scenario where your work is just flat out rejected. I've had it happen a couple of times, and it totally sucked. The first time was actually the first professional job I had for a game company. It was Fantasy Flight Games A Game of Thrones CCG.

I got 5 illustrations done, and all 5 of them were turned down. I thought they were decent, but now when I look at them they look like poop, and I can see why they didn't make the cut. They were also some of the first digital paintings I did. Up until then I did everything with real paints. Luckily though they gave me a second chance, and I managed to do a little better, and I have a great relationship with FFG to this day.

Alright, alright, here's the rejected art. Don't laugh!






No comments:

Post a Comment