Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Music to Work By


My musical tastes vary quite a bit, but I think there's almost always a common thread that links everything. I would have to say that common element relates back to a couple of the first albums I listened to as a kid back in the early 80's, and that was Pink Floyd's "A collection of Great Dance Songs", and Jethro Tull's "The Broadsword and the Beast". Not only did those influence my future musical choices, but also stoked my imagination and love of fantasy and sci-fi. I mean c'mon, look how awesome that Jethro Tull album cover is!

Anyways, my taste ranges from Jazz and Classical to grinding Death Metal. What do they all have in common? Mood. They all fall somewhere on the side of being "dark". Whether it's a subtle arrangement that takes a quick dip in the darkness, or a blasting wall of evil sound that can't even be comprehended by anyone unless they've journeyed through the sonic wastelands of underground music, they all have some element of moody darkness.

So, what am I listening to now? I like to start my morning off with Justin Sullivan's solo album "Navigating by the Stars", work my way into Church of Misery's "Houses of the Unholy", and then move into some various Electric Wizard music. Later in the afternoon I'm usually in the mood for something a little heavier, and I'll give Acid Bath's "When the Kite String Pops" a play.

That's what I've got playing this week. Next week it will probably be something completely different. Oh yeah, sometimes I'll even throw a little Eminem in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment